See us on video!
Haus Peter Regen sitting room
Haus Martin Sonne bedroom
Haus Sterr Anton kitchen dining room
Walking Holidays in Bavaria
We've all really enjoyed walking in this lovely area, which was new to us all and the accommodation has been brilliant. Thank you.
Foster Wheeler Fellwalkers, Reading, UK
The landscape of the Bavarian/Czech border offers a wide variety of walking opportunities. From a gentle forest stroll for food and drink at a former woodcutter's cottage, to the challenge of a hike up the Grosser Arber mountain, we have it all. Experience the dappled light of the forest glades as you walk round a glacial lake, or panoramic vistas from mountain summits - this very special part of the world has a lot to offer. You can even take a walk across the former Iron Curtain.
We have a selection of walks with different themes, devised and written for guests starting out from our apartments, all of them tried and tested and covering both side of the border: Bavaria and the Czech Republic with detailed routes and directions provided. The themes so far are:
Walk to Lunch or Coffee and Cake - we have found 9 different destinations for lunch and 2 for coffee and cakes, all within 1/2 hour - 3 hours walk of our apartments and many have alternative suggestions for the walk back.
Buggy/Wheelchair Friendly Walks - 6 different walks on old forest roads, ideal for buggies, wheelchairs and even those who are just prefer not to walk over tree roots and rocks!
Longer Hikes - 1/2 - 1 day walks for serious walkers, taking in some destinations which are best reached by bus or train so that you can walk back.
City Walks - our own recommendations for walking through 2 German cities, 2 Czech cities and 1 Austrian city in the region.
Train + Walk - for exploring other parts of the forest using your free GUTi public transport ticket.
Winter Walks - cleared paths through the magical snowy forest
We can provide you with local maps and guide books.
Carfree: excellent bus and train services allow you to explore further afield - you will find a timetable in your apartment.
Self-guided walking holidays
For groups, we can offer 1 week self guided walking holidays (travel by plane, car or train to Germany not included) in May, June, September and October, subject to availability. These holidays are tailored to the need of each group and can include:
- Transfers to and from Munich airport by train using the BayernTicket
- 7 nights accommodation in double or twin room in a luxury self catering apartment.
- Self service breakfast each day.
- 3 course dinner in a village restaurant each day.
- 1 day bus tour to Czech Republic including UNESCO World Heritage Site Cesky Krumlow.
- Schnaps tasting evening.
- Set of walking maps and suggested walks.
Bayerisch Eisenstein has an unusually large number of long distance footpaths running through the village:
- The E6 European Long Distance Footpath from the Baltic Sea to the Adriatic Sea passes along the Czech border and right through the middle of the village, heading over the Arber mountain to the north and the Falkenstein and Rachel mountains to the South. It is designated by a green arrow in a square.
- The Glassmakers Way runs along the Czech border from Lam in the north to Grafenau in the south.
- St. Gunther's Way runs from Kloster Niederalteich on the Danube via Rinchnach into Bohemia.
- The Bohemian Way follows the old trading paths from the Danube Valley to Bohemia, running from Deggendorf via Bischofsmais and Zwiesel to Bayerisch Eisenstein (65 km).
- The Goldsteig - 600km through the Oberpflaz and Bohemian Forests
- The river path goes along the Great Regen river from Bayerisch Eisenstein to Zwiesel and the town of Regen.
Bavarian Forest Holidays
94252 Bayerisch Eisenstein
Tel. (Germany) +49 (0)9925 90 32 04 (UK) 07976 403434
Cycling through the forest
Also for groups
Cycling up from Ludwigstahl
Walking in the Forest